Why it is better to buy a home instead of renting one!
Listed here are 3 major reasons why you should consider buying a home…
Buying a home is actually less expensive than renting! Renting a home for $2,000/mo for 5 years is $2,000/mo x 5 years x 12 months/year = $120,000 But buying a home for the same $2,000/mo for 5 years is less than $120,000!
- When you buy a home the government gives you a tax deduction for the mortgage interest that you pay.Lets just assume that your tax deduction equals only $8,000/year. That means you get $8000/mo x 5 years =$40,000.That means you can get $40,000 cash when you buy your home over the next 5 years. So you will pay $120,000 towards housing payments over the next 5 years but if you own a home you will get $40,000 cash back. This means you only spend $80,000 for housing over the same 5 years which is only $1333/month!
Equity:The owner of the home is entitled to the equity in the home. Equity is the difference between how much the house is worth and how much you owe. (If a house is worth $200,000 and you owe $150,000 then the equity is $50,000.) If you are renting then the landlord is the owner and they get to keep the equity in the home.
- When you buy a home you have a mortgage payment each month. Generally, each payment has a principle amount, an interest amount, property taxes and hazard insurance. The principle amount of the payment reduces the amount that you owe on the property.
- Every time there is a repair on the home, if done correctly, that repair can increase the value of your home because it will be worth more. If you upgrade old windows, replace the shingles on the roof or remodel the kitchen, that will make your home worth more money. When you own a home you have to pay for these repairs. When you rent, the landlord must pay for these repairs but they don’t mind because it makes the home worth more money!
- Making regular payments on a home mortgage will increase your credit score. Better credit means better financing for your next home purchase, a refinance of the first home and for a vehicle purchase or any other credit purchases saving you thousands of dollars in interest over the years to come.
- With interest rates dropping below 3.5% (30 year fixed rate as of 10/30/19) you could $15000 for every 1% interest you save , in span of 30 years, in loan of $300k. Check here for more details.
- Requirements:The qualifications for buying a home are nearly the same qualifications for renting a home. You need to have okay credit, a deposit and a decent job.If you have a credit score of 580 (or better) then you can qualify for a FHA loan. A 580 FICO score is not considered good credit and may even be low enough to prevent you from renting. But it is a good enough credit score to buy a small home. If you have better credit then you can qualify for better interest rates with other types of loans.
The deposit for a house purchase with an FHA loan is 3 % of the purchase price. This amount is nearly the same as first & last months rent and a security deposit. One of the little known bonuses for buying a house is that you essentially get the first month FREE! The reason is because the homes mortgage interest is charged at the end of the month while rent is charged at the beginning of each month.
- Having a decent job is essential for qualifying for any type of housing. Generally you need to have been in the same line of work for the previous 2 years to show stability in employment. You also need to be making at least 3-4 times your payment on a monthly basis
Article published by Anil Aggarwal Realtor who sells real estate in New Jersey as Vylla Home Agent.